I have never really tackled a project quite like this. There were lots of details to take into consideration to make these shelves. It was my first time using a hack saw, drilling through metal, and becoming best friends with our laser level. Do you remember the side of our old kitchen with the old stained glass window? We removed the upper shelf and microwave box, as well as the three narrow cabinets on the left. The task was to make shelves that fit the microwave and also covered the floor where the cabinets had been since the flooring didn't continue under them. I built a frame for the bottom shelf that boxed in where the flooring was missing. I then attached a piece of plywood for the shelf. We got the stainless steel from Metal Supermarket. We had it cut and bent to fit over top of the plywood base. The steel slid over the plywood and was attached with an adhesive. The top two shelves were made the same way, only with bracket supports. The wood base allows for easy attachment of the brackets and also gives the shelves their structure. The green walls were also painted over- the kitchen is now the warm gray you see behind the shelves- benjamin moore's winds breath. Just a few more projects to tackle and we will finally be done.