10.3.09

button collection

I was working on a gift for someone yesterday, which I am really excited about and will post photos after I give it to them. The little gift I was making required buttons, so I dug out my button collection.
It's been a long time since I have looked at this collection, most of which are vintage, and pawing through them made me remember how much I love just looking at them, dreaming of the garment or item that they could live on and have lived on before.

Over time they have been strung onto safety pins, string, and cards to keep them in their sets. I have quite a few that have been kept together. The twelve black buttons below are of my favorite vintage set and I believe it is a rare find. The owl button is for sure my favorite single I own. It's about the size of a dime.
I also have a soft spot for coloured glass buttons. There are four of these green ones, which make me want to design a dress just for them. Lately I have been dreaming of making clothing again. I suppose I am longing for warm weather as I design spring jackets and summer dresses in my head. I am glad I had a reason to get these buttons out again; I think they will give me the push I need to start making some of the ideas I have had lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love old colored glass buttons too! The emerald ones with the flowers are really sweet.