31.5.10

After expanding our patio we now sit under the trees, a peaceful spot with birds chirping all day and lanterns lit up at night. We are lucky to have so many trees- it makes it cozy and brings lots of creatures. As novice gardeners we are learning what likes the shade, trying to find ways to add colour to it. Right now we have pinky purple flowers- our neighbours lilac tree sits just behind our sitting area. It makes the whole yard smell sweet.The same pinky purple in our own garden, the only colourful plant we have so far- this rhododendron we planted a few weeks ago. I think this is one of my favorite plants. I don't have a marker this lovely shade of purple .
We got some outdoor furniture and now the space really feels like an outdoor room with newspapers and coffee mugs on the coffee table in the morning, outdoor pillows on the chairs and this quilt on the couch. I made this quilt years ago, I think while home from school during summer break, when I worked at my mom's quilt shop, Greenwood Quiltery in Guelph. It's based off this simple quilt idea from an Amy Butler pattern. The main centre fabric is a Kaffe Fassett. We have used it for years as an outdoor quilt to lay on in parks. Now it's flowery fabric adds colour to our garden while I learn of more shade loving flowers.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nice garden! an outdoor room is a good idea for it. if you want more outdoor pillows with good quality and neat designs you can visit my site: http://www.outdoorcushionspillows.com/
thanks

Unknown said...

What a beautiful spot you two have created. I hope that you, Jeff and Beau enjoy many relaxing and refreshing hours in your new space.

DesignTies said...

I just found your blog through What's Up Whimsy -- it's always great to "meet" another Canadian blogger :-)

Your garden looks like a wonderful place to sit and relax :-) If you're looking for more shade-loving plants, try hostas. They're just about the easiest plant to grow, and they come back bigger & better year after year. And impatiens are the perfect annuals for shady spots -- and they're easy maintenance too :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

jenna rose said...

Thanks for the suggestions Kelly. I also like hostas- we have lots of them!